Tuesday, April 7, 2009
I want you to think of your family, friends, work associates, church mates, neighbors, even the daycare that your children may attend. Many of you personally know someone, close to you or just an acquaintance, who is battling autism. As a teacher, I have taught children with dealing with various spectrums of autism, I have two good friends that have autistic children, and in my family, a cousin recently diagnosed. Autism is one of the fastest growing developmental disorders in the world.
Facts about Autism:
· Autism affects as many as 1 in 150 children
· Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the world
· More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with diabetes, cancer, & AIDS combined
· Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
· There is no medical detection or cure for autism, but early diagnosis and intervention improve outcomes
· Autism does not discriminate by geography, class, or ethnicity
Crazy Mamma at www.craybickford.blogspot.com is doing weekly posts on autism. I've added an autism awareness button to the left of my post, take a look, that links directly to her blog. You can also click on the title of this post, and hopefully, the link I've added in the post (if it is working, which is probably doesn't). She can probably provide more accurate information concerning autism.