Friday, August 28, 2009

Introducing Andy

I want you all to meet Andy. Due to privacy rights and such, I won't be posting his charming face here, too bad, too, because he would have captured your heart as well. Andy has been diagnosed with autism, however, he has to be one of the most social autistic boys I've ever taught, and I've taught quite a few autistic children. Andy has a power about him that sends out threads emanating from every pore in his body. These threads stream out and slowly tuck into you, immersing Andy's charisma deep into the hapless victim before they even suspect it. I know this...I'm a victim. He's smart, he's charming, he's bright, he's unaware of the effect he has on people. They are automatically drawn to him, and I just can't figure the how or why. He demonstrated break dancing for the class today. It was wonderful. It was astounding. It didn't look a think like break dancing, but Andy just held up his hand to someone saying that's not break dancing and said, Now wait, (holding out his hands) I never told you it was break dancing. It's my dance

Now that I am giving him time alone, just me, him, and my post, I think Andy is for us, what Yoga is for Madonna. He touches our inner peace and allows it to work again. Sometimes all he can deliver is a vacant stare, but when he is on the go, what he gives is priceless. I wish you could all meet Andy. He is a diamond in the rough.

13 comments:

  1. He sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy sounds like quite an amazing little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Have you thought about giving this to his parents? I bet they would love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been enjoying your back to school stories, although I do tend to get a rash when I think too hard about being back in the classroom!
    I'm working on articles for the paper I write for about school experiences.

    You keep up the good work!
    I'd want my kid in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy sounds wonderful, it's nice that you can appreciate his talents

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you are saying there! My two younger grandkids - Maya and Kurtis -are both autistic and often people who see them but who don't know diddly about them, think they are both just beautiful little children. And yes, they are that -for sure! Maya is generally very sociable -just a twinge of reserve at times -usually when you DON'T want the reserved side to show up though and Kurtis is becoming more outgoing now. A lady from our church commented to my daughter and I one day after services that Maya "doesn't look like she is autistic" and we both want to know exactly how does an autisic child look, anyway? Sometimes with both these kids, the only way you know they are autistic is if you are around them for an extended period of time and the behaviors then may surface. Sadly though, too many people who aren't aware of these things then just think they are a couple of spoiled small children who have never been taught how to behave properly. If we mention they are both autistic -or the one being observed, etc - only if the person seeing these things has a bit of understanding about autism do those people have a bit of comprehension then about this very baffling disorder. Which is why I write about some of the things Maya and Kurt do and say, things they are learning, doing, etc., that to us are stellar events but to others, unknowing about how differently autism may affect children -even those in the same family -in order to try to give people even just a tiny bit of understanding about people with this disorder. They don't all look alike, don't all act alike either -if anything, they usually look like other children (or adults) in their own particular peer group. But regardless, they are still beautiful little people, and are the light of my life. That much is for certain any way!
    Thanks for the introduction to this little guy in your life. And here's hoping you'll be able to help him along just as the teachers/therapists who have worked with Maya and Kurtis here have helped them to advance immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool that you get to have some Andy as a bright spot in your day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, he sounds just wonderful. Everyone needs a little Andy in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love how you see the gifts and strengths in people otherwise labeled. Could you please look into cloning yourself. We need about 100 o of you per state -- for starters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed this post.....but reading it today, just put a big smile on my face. Andy sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a great writer and I'm glad I found you through SitS! Congratz on being today's featurette :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Nice post. It is amazing what can happen to folks.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Also, check out the series 7up, 14 up, 21 up. They are documentaries. Based on the concept, you show me the child at seven and i will show you the man. Interesting and similar to your topic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the joy that children can bring just being them and living their lives whole...He sounds like an amazing little guy.

    ReplyDelete