2010...The first decade into the 21st Century, and no Buck Rogers. What the hell? No Captain Kirk, hovering skateboards, flying cars, and vacation trips to Mars, either. And seriously? That suits me just fine.
Although the 21st century doesn't have me booking my first flight to Mars (hellfire, I haven't even been off of the continent so Mars would be on the back burner anyway), it has seen me through a great many, many accomplishments.
This is one of "those" posts.
Feel free to join in.
1. I graduated from college in 1999 (does that count? Yes, I think it does) and got my first job teaching. My first real job that came with benefits and a salary that exceeded minimum wage. Woot!
2. I began, and ended, my thirties. I absolutely love being in my thirties. It was fabulous.
3. I battled, and beat into the ground, the beast called cancer. I was diagnosed in Spring 2000 with APL Leukemia, went into remission, and as of January 2010, been cancer free (aside from a brief bout of basal cell on the nose) for almost a decade! Boy, it feels good to say that; a decade free.
4. I had sex. I had LOTS of sex. . . loads even.
5. I met a seriously good looking and totally sexy guy, and then married him. No big feat, I know, but for me to even take that step into a direction I avoided like the plague for most of my life, it was HUGE.
6. I'm still married.
7. I'm STILL married. (worth repeating)
8. Starting June, 2005, I began having babies again. We said hello to three of them, actually. This was quite a surprising event in our lives considering a specialist, an oncologist, and my general practitioner all said I'd probably not have children again.
Ha. I guess I showed them.
9. I survived Hurricane Katrina only to be battered by Hurricane Rita, only to move back in time to Survive Hurricane Gustav and get beaten by Hurricane Ike. Yeah, the floor plans are still out on that one!
And just to keep the list down to ten...
10. I ate Sushi.
Here's to good friends, cheap wine, and a quick goodbye to 2009.